This internship will prepare the professional health educator to develop, implement, and evaluate health education programs. The student will learn the tools necessary and will provide an opportunity to conduct health education programs within the Denton County community. The goal of this internship is to produce future Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES) that are proficient within the health education field. This internship is offered as a professional courtesy to future health educators.
Areas of Responsibility:
This internship will allow the student to address all 7 Areas of Responsibility of a Certified Health Education Specialist as defined by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.
Area I: Assess Individual and Community Needs for Health Education
Area II: Plan Health Education Strategies, Interventions, and Programs
Area III: Implement Health Education Strategies, Interventions, and Programs
Area IV: Conduct Evaluation and Research Related to Health Education
Area V: Administer Health Education Strategies, Interventions, and Programs
Area VI: Serve as a Health Education Resource Person
Area VII: Communicate and Advocate for Health and Health Education
Upon completing this internship, students should have the knowledge and skills necessary to:
- Find current and valid information about relevant U.S., Texas, and Denton County health issues
- Compose work plans, program plans, lesson plans, and other documents necessary for health education programming
- Implement health education programs
- Conduct effective program evaluations
- Effectively network with local partners
- Compose a formal, written evaluation plan
- Denton County Public Health internships last a minimum of 10 full weeks. This provides interns an opportunity to experience and learn about the role health educators play within the Denton County community.
- Internships are only offered to students pursuing a degree within a health education or health promotion related field.
- Interns must be able to work Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Flexibility to work nights and weekends is preferred.
- Interns must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and Publisher. Interns must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to work well with others.
If you are interested in applying for an internship position, please complete the form and provide your cover letter and resume in this form: Internship Interest Form.