Planning a Tour of Historical Markers
Plan a tour in any section and area of the Denton County. Each area features special interests. The Denton County Courthouse-on-the-Square (CHOS), located at 101 W. Hickory Street in Denton, is the home of the Denton CHOS Museum. It is open Monday - Friday from 10:00 AM to 4:30 PM and Saturday from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. You can browse the brochure rack inside the courthouse for more information on Denton County's history. Check out the Denton County Office of History and Culture section or call (940) 349-2850.
The courthouse is located in the center of the Denton County Courthouse Square Historical District. And, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark. Both Roanoke and Pilot Point are historic cities that have historic districts.
To Help You Plan Your Tour
While visiting the museum, pick up a copy of The Guide to Denton County Historical Markers brochure listing all markers in the county. Specific markers have been placed in one of five sections within the county. Markers are numbered on the individual maps and legends. Each marker is listed by title with type of marker, date marker was erected and address or directions to the marker. A few markers will have more than one marker. Two markers are missing and are so noted.
Things to Remember
- A county or city map is helpful in locating streets, Farm-to-Market roads and US Highways.
- A few markers are located on private property and may be viewed from sidewalks or streets. If not accessible, please ask permission of property owner.
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat to protect from the sun. Insect repellant is helpful when visiting cemeteries and grassy areas.
- Plan several outings to visit all markers.
- Take your camera and record your visits. Check off each marker as you find it. Keep your check list and make it a goal to explore all markers in Denton County.
- Take time to explore the site. Cemeteries are among the most valuable of historic resources and can provide the viewer with additional information not found on the marker text.
- Plan to spend extra time in the three historic districts listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic districts are: Central Roanoke Historic District, Pilot Point Downtown Historic District and the Denton Courthouse Square Historic District.
- Park your car for a walking tour of these historic districts.