Traveling Museum Program
Our free Traveling Museum presentations give students and organizations an opportunity to engage with local history. We can kick-off or culminate a unit of study by bringing history right to you. Our volunteers travel to schools and places throughout Denton County to bring you lively and informative presentations.
The Traveling Museums with artifacts can be modified for any grade level. Check out our list of Traveling Museums below. Grade levels for curriculum studies are listed to go with the TEKS, but many of the Traveling Museums are great for adult learning as well! The presentations are approximately 45 minutes in length.
- African American Heritage: The Quakertown Story in Denton Texas (Grades 3-8)
- Cattle Drive in Texas’ History (Grades 4-5, 7-8)
- Civil War & Reconstruction in Denton County (Grades 4-5, 7-8)
- Native American Texans (Grades 4-5, 7-8)
- Hispanic Heritage in Denton County (Grades 3-7)
- Rural to Urban (Grades 7-8)
- Texas Cultures (4-5,7-8)
- Texas Revolution (Grade 7)
- Then & Now: Past to Present – Change, Change, Change! (Grade 1)
- Then & Now: Life in Denton County from Past to Present (Grades 2-5)
- Transcontinental Railroad (Grades 5,8)
"Mary and James were engaging and active with the students. The presentation 100% aligned with our curriculum. I will definitely be scheduling future visits! Thank you so much for providing this service. "
"It was amazing. Thank you so much for enhancing our curriculum. We loved it. Thank you for coming!!!!"
"Great presentation. The students were engaged and curious. We enjoyed our time learning about the cattle drive and how close it was to our location."
Reservation Request Form
If you would like to make a reservation for a Traveling Museum, please fill out the following form. When you click the submit button, your request will automatically be forwarded to the Office of History and Culture staff.
For further information or reservations, e-mail
Gretel L'Heureux, Tourism and Education Director
or call (940) 349-2850.
The Traveling Museum presentations are free.
Download a printable reservation request form