Denton County Sheriff's Office
Welcome to the Denton County Sheriff’s Office Web site. Our goal is to provide citizens and visitors with quick and easy access to information about this office, the departments within the Sheriff's Office, and the Denton County Jail.
Sheriff Tracy Murphree
Follow us on...
The office of Sheriff is constitutionally created office with responsibilities prescribed by the legislature (Tex. Const. Art. V sec 23). The sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer for the county and is responsible for
- operating the county jails,
- investigating crimes,
- making arrests,
- enforcing traffic regulations on county roads,
- serving writs,
- seizing property after judgment, and
- maintaining communications with other law enforcement organizations.
The sheriff has countywide jurisdiction; however, most sheriffs' departments concentrate their activities outside city limits where municipal officers cannot operate. Like all county department heads, the sheriff appoints his own personnel and in large counties may have a substantial staff and budget. The sheriff is elected every four years and is responsible for security in both the county and district courts. The sheriff also sets bail bond policy for the county except where there is a Bail Bond Board which establishes the rules and regulations for making bail by bondsmen.
- Friends and Family may place money on inmates Commissary account by setting up an online account with Access Corrections or you may call 1-866-345-1884.
- Friends and Family may place money on an inmate's Phone Debit account. Or, set up an Advanced Connect Account for the inmate to make phone calls by visiting the Securus Technologies website. You may also call 1-800-844-6591 for help.
Denton County Sheriff’s Office will be changing to a New Inmate Video Visitation Vendor September 2019.
From August 26, 2019 to September 6, 2019, only Public Site visits will be allowed. All Securus Home Visits will end on August 25, 2019. As each individual visitation station is set up from August 26, 2019 to September 6, 2019, inmates will be able to start having home visits.
The days for Public visitation will be as follows:
- Tuesday 08-27-2019 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM
- Wednesday 08-28-2019 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM
- Saturday 08-31-2019 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM
Tentatively on Friday 09-06-2019 all Public and Home Visits should resume on the normal schedule.
- Tuesday 08:30 AM to 7:30 PM
- Wednesday 08:30 AM to 7:30 PM
- Friday 08:30 AM to 7:30 PM
- Saturday 08:30 AM to 7:30 PM
- Sunday 08:30 AM to 7:30 PM
- Sunday through Saturdays 7:30 AM to 9:00 PM
The new company for Inmate Video Visitation will be HomeWAV
HomeWAV Contact Information
Customer Support Center | 7 days a week | 8am-5pm CST | 844.394.6639
Customer Service: email@example.com
HomeWAV Mobile App
Apple/iPhone App Download click here:
AndroidApp Download click here:
Please ensure you are aware of all video visitation rules and regulations by reading our Denton County Sheriff's Office Video Visitation Rules Policy
DCSO Citizen Academy
The Denton County Sheriff’s Office will be having our DCSO Citizen Academy September 9, 2019. The DCSO Citizen Academy will last 10 weeks and you will be introduced to what the Sheriff’s Office is all about. You will be an active participant in most aspects of our daily duties. Please fill out the attached application and return ASAP. Once you graduate from our DCSO Citizen Academy class then you will be eligible to join our Volunteers in Police Service, (VIPS) program. Contact Captain Orlando “Hino” Hinojosa if you have any questions or concerns.
Woman’s Empowerment Program
The Denton County Sheriff’s Office would like to invite females 15 years old and older to the FREE Woman’s Empowerment Program. The Woman’s Empowerment Program is a self-defense class offered once a month. Registration is required at WEP@dentoncounty.com. The program is held on Saturdays from 9:00 AM until 12:00 PM.
2019 Class Dates
- August 17, 2019 - Denton Bible Church
- September 21, 2019 - Denton Bible Church
- October 19, 2019 - Denton Bible Church
- November 16, 2019 - Denton Bible Church
Law Enforcement Center - Directions
127 N. Woodrow Lane
Denton, TX 76205-6397
(940) 349-1604 (Fax)
(972) 434-5020 (Fax)
Other Phone Numbers
Open Records Requests
All requests for records may be requested at the link below.
Sheriff’s Office Records
Custodian of Records – Toni Hodges
(940) 349-1628/5158 (Fax)
Inmate Medical Records
Custodian of Records – Doug Sanders