Alcoholic Beverage Permits

The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC) requires alcoholic beverage manufacturers, distributors, retailers, etc. to apply for permits and licenses before they may operate in the State of Texas. To apply for a permit or license for Denton County locations contact the local TABC office, 2225 E. Randol Mill Road, Suite 200, Arlington, Texas 76011. TABC will provide application forms and a complete list of instructions on how to certify an application. Additional information is available from TABC, P.O. Box 13127, Austin, TX 78711 or on the TABC website.

Note: Sections 11.38 and 61.26 of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code were amended 9/1/2001 to allow TABC to deny or cancel a permit for the retail sale or service of alcoholic beverages if it is found that the permit holder or applicant has not paid delinquent property taxes due on that permitted premises or due from a business operated on that premises.

The Denton County Tax Assessor-Collector collects state and county fees for several types of original and existing beer, wine, and liquor permits and licenses at the Denton office, located at 1505 E. McKinney, Denton, TX 76209.

For further information about alcoholic beverage permits, please e-mail us.

Alcoholic Beverage FAQ’s

New Beer and Wine Permits

How do I obtain an application for a new alcoholic beverage permit?
Applications are obtained from and processed by the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC). You can either send a written request or print an application from their website.

Local TABC Office:
2225 East Randol Mill Road
Suite 200
Arlington, TX 76011
State TABC Office
P.O. Box 13127
Austin, TX 78711

How will my application be processed?
All applications for a new permit must be processed by TABC; however, there will be fees due to the Denton County Tax Office. These county fees will be equal to half of the state fees. Keep in mind that these fees will be charged in addition to the state fees and surcharges. Once your new application is complete, take it to the Denton County Tax Office location in Denton (see address above) along with payment for the state fees, surcharge, and county fees. The tax office will then issue a temporary receipt.

When will I receive my permit?
Once TABC has completely processed your application you will receive, by mail, the original permit which must be displayed in plain view on the premises where the alcoholic beverages are being sold.

What is the cost to obtain a permit?
Fees vary for different types of permits. Please contact TABC for more information at (817) 652-5912

Beer and Wine Renewals

All renewal applications will be mailed out by Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission. This application will only show fees and surcharges due for the State of Texas. There will also be Denton County fees due (which are half of the state fees) and a renewal fee of $2.00. Please bring (or mail) three copies of this form signed and notarized along with payment of all fees to the Denton County Tax Office. You will be issued a temporary receipt so that your business may continue to sell beer and wine until you receive your permanent license from TABC.

Where is the tax office located?
Beer and wine renewals are only handled at the Denton location
between the hours of 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday.

Denton County Tax Office
1505 East McKinney Street
Denton, TX 76209
(940) 349-3500

What forms of payment are accepted?
The Denton County Tax Office accepts cash, money order or business checks for payment of alcoholic beverage fees. No personal checks are accepted.

When can I renew my beer and wine permit?
Beer and wine permits cannot be renewed more than 30 days prior to the expiration date.

Is there a penalty for renewing a permit late?
Yes. A $100 late fee will be charged between the 1st and 30th day following the expiration date.

What happens if I do not renew my permit within 30 days?
If a permit is not renewed until after 30 days of the expiration date you will be required to cease alcoholic beverage sales and file a new application with TABC.

Liquor Permits

How do I obtain a liquor permit?
All applications for liquor licenses must be obtained through TABC. Complete the application and submit it along with payment of the applicable fees to TABC.

Local TABC Office:
2225 East Randol Mill Road
Suite 200
Arlington, TX 76011
State TABC Office
P.O. Box 13127
Austin, TX 78711
(512) 206-3333 

How much does a liquor permit cost?
Fees can vary for different types of permits. Please contact TABC for more information. Keep in mind that the TABC application fees and surcharges do not include fees due to Denton County which will equal half of the state fee. The Denton County Tax Office will send you a notice regarding the county fees that are due.

Where can I renew my liquor permit?
State fees and surcharges will be paid to TABC. Please contact the local or state TABC office for more information on where to pay those fees. The Denton County Tax Office will send you a notice of payment due for the county portion of renewal fees. The county fees (once you have received your notice) may be paid in person at the Denton office only or by mail.