New Texas Resident Information

Did you just move to Texas from another state? If you did, you will need Texas license plates and registration for your vehicle.

Following are the steps:

  1. Have your vehicle inspected. Texas requires your vehicle to pass the state safety inspection before it can be registered. State inspections are available at service stations and repair shops all over Denton County.
  2. Register your vehicle at a local county tax office. You must register your vehicle in the county that you reside in.
  3. Apply for your new Texas Driver’s license at the Department of Public Safety Office.

Below you will find a list of documents that you will need to register your vehicle:

  • Vehicle Inspection Report
  • Proof of Texas liability insurance
  • The vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old
  • An original out-of-state title or current proof of out-of-state registration
  • Photo identification

The following types of photo identification are acceptable:

  • A driver license or state identification certification issued by a state or territory of the United States
  • United States or foreign passport
  • United States military identification
  • North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) identification or identification issued under a United States Status of Forces Agreement
  • United States Department of Homeland Security identification
  • United States Citizenship and Immigration Services documentation
  • United States Department of State identification
  • Identification issued under a Status of Forces Agreement